Registration for fall kindergarten programs in Salem-Keizer Public Schools opens on Tuesday, February 23, 2016. Students who turn five on or before September 10, 2016, are eligible to register. All elementary schools in Salem-Keizer offer free, full-day kindergarten.
Parents are asked to register students soon to help the district prepare an adequate number of classrooms, supplies, etc. for the fall.
How to register
To register, please visit the school and pick up a registration packet. If you’re unsure what school is assigned to serve your residence address, please visit the district’s school finder page: www.salemkeizer.org/content/boundary-information
Parents must complete and sign the forms in the registration packet (registration form, home language survey, immunization form) and provide:
1. Proof of residence address. Examples of documents accepted include a copy of a utility bill, driver’s license with current address, copy of rental agreement, etc.
2. Original birth certificate for the child. The school will make a copy and return the original to the parent.
Help your student get ready
Parents can help students get ready for kindergarten by helping them:
· Hold a pencil, crayons and scissors correctly
· Practice writing his/her name
· Learn the ABC’s and how to count to twenty
· Name and identify basic shapes, such as square, triangle and circle
· Learn how to take turns and share with others
· How to use the bathroom and wash hands independently
Please contact your school with questions about registering for kindergarten.